Re: no good way to highlight rectangle while region is highlighted

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: no good way to highlight rectangle while region is highlighted
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:52:16 +0100

"Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:59:30, Joe Wells wrote:
>>
>> Summary of this message: This is a feature request for (1) the
>> possibility that some overlays can have priority over the use of the
>> region face, and/or (2) a variant of the -box- face feature where the
>> vertical lines of the box take no extra space.
>        [snip]
>> Any suggestions?  I'd like to use either background colors, or the box
>> face feature, but either of these would require changes to Emacs to
>> work acceptably.
>
> Below is my code to mark rectangles (blocks):

Hi, Ehud,

Thanks for your comments.

How does your code work in combination with the Emacs C code that
highlights the region using the “region” face?  I think your code will
have the same problems that I have already described.

I notice that your code modifies the buffer.  This is very undesirable
for the purpose I have in mind (which is constantly showing the
current rectangle).

>> Any suggestions?  I'd like to use either background colors, or the box
>> face feature, but either of these would require changes to Emacs to
>> work acceptably.
>
> I think a strong background color (I use red) is much better because
> it can not be missed. A frame only (box) can be overlooked, especially
> when the rectangle is greater than the screen size.

A frame (“box”) can be seen fairly easily if its borders are in a
strong color.  And I think a frame around the current rectangle is
easier to use in combination with a background color to simultaneously
show the current region.  (My goal is to have a good way to highlight
simultaneously _both_ the current region and current rectangle.)

--
Joe