Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:49:55 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:39:58 +0200
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Dj=E4rv?= <address@hidden>
> Cc: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>,
>       Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> David Kastrup skrev:
>
> > It must be stressed that translating Emacs is a Herculanean effort.
> > There is no way it can be achieved by Emacs developers alone: we
> > really have to rely on non-coding-involved translation teams here, and
> > it will still be a real beast to do.
> >

> I wonder if it is larger than gcc.  Gcc 4.2.0 has 6489 strings for
> translation.

I just tried this command in the top-level Emacs directory:

  grep -hR -A1 "^(def" lisp --include="*.el" | grep -v "^--" | grep "^  \""

and got 30594 lines of output.  And this is only the doc strings;
there are built-ins defined in C, prompts, literal `(message FOO)'
messages, calls to `signal' and `error', etc.

So yes, Emacs is _definitely_ larger than GCC.  Much larger, almost by
an order of magnitude.