Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:00:53 +0200

Andreas Schwab skrev:

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > I didn't know gettext supported message strings in comments.  Does
 > it?

gettext() itself obviously doesn't, since comments aren't executable.
Extraction tools like xgettext should, they aren't supposed to parse
the text beyond the _() macro.

It is not required to use xgettext for message extraction, you can just
as easily roll your own.  It should be trivial to extend make-docfile to
emit POT files as well.

Good thinking. If we also use the ordianary way to extract strings in the C code, what strings would we miss then? Menus, tooltips?

        Jan D.