Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:28:34 +0200

Jason Rumney skrev:
Jan Djärv wrote:
Strings can be read into emacs, like the ones from the DOC file and
then passed to the gettext functions to be translated.
It seems a little wasteful to me, to read a string from one docfile just
so we can look it up in another. Why not look it up the doc we want

We could easily make a locale specific DOC-file, like DOC.sv_SE. But on the other hand, looking up strings like this is an interactive action, I'm not sure the performance hit is even visible.

> I don't think we should constrain ourselves with gettext when
it is not the best design for our purpose.

No, but we must take care of C level strings also.

> Neither the end-users nor
translators care what is under the hood.

End users don't care. As a translator, I do care. There are existing translations in gettext format I'd like to reuse if I was to translate Emacs. Not sure I can take on such a huge job though :-)

        Jan D.