Re: emacs-unicode-2 bootstrap on FreeBSD (temacs coredump)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: emacs-unicode-2 bootstrap on FreeBSD (temacs coredump)
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 20:27:06 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:07:47 +0900, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> said:

It might be possible to call pthread_mutex_init for all malloc
mutexes at the (non-thread-safe) initialization stage with
temporarily disabling the use of the mutexes.

Could you try if this works?  As usual, I can't test it myself.

I tried it and temacs runs OK. However, it seems that the mutex initialization is lost, so it has to be done again with the dumped emacs. pthread_self also allocates memory, so even if this is fixed we still get a loop. I also tried using system malloc on FreeBSD 6.2, but that didn't work. Emacs crashed on first realloc (heap corrupt). I guess undumping on FreeBSD with system malloc is broken (or perhaps impossible).

There are spin locks available on BSD and GNU/Linux, see pthread_spin_init. But that don't help for the pthread_self issue. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

   Jan D.