Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:15:56 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> Why do you think we have text properties?
>
> It is good to see a solution that is not confusing to beginners.

I'm not sure which one you think is confusing to beginners, but I think
the text property solution would be far more confusing.

I mean really, something like (buffer "foo") or (file "~/bar")
seems pretty clear, even if you don't know what lisp is.

Text properties, on the other hand are _invisible_, and having strings
whose meaning differs based on invisible properties doesn't seems like a
very good interface at all for beginners... (or experts for that matter)

-Miles

--
We live, as we dream -- alone....