Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 19:59:03 +0300

>     Then it would not be possible to specify a mode for *scratch* unless
>     one also makes *scratch* the startup screen.
>
> As I understand it, part of the idea of this change is that
> there won't BE a *scratch* buffer if you don't request it
> in `initial-buffer-contents'.

It is very useful to create a *scratch* buffer at startup, even if it is
not displayed immediately.

But there is no need to replace `initial-major-mode' with using your idea
that t of a new option means display a *scratch* buffer created in mode
specified by `initial-major-mode'.

The only problem remains I think that the name `initial-buffer-contents'
is worse than simply `initial-buffer'.  It gives a false impression that
that some contents gets insterted into some fixed initial buffer.

Perhaps, a better name is `initial-display'?  This has clear semantics:
display the startup screen initially, display a *scratch* buffer, display the
home directory...

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/