Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:15:34 -0400

>> Stefan's suggestion to allow an `only-after-completion' value for
>> `find-file-confirm-nonexistent' makes the most sense. I think that  would
>> make everyone happy. (The default value of `find-file-confirm-
>> nonexistent'
>> should remain, nil, however, IMO.)

> Yes, Stefan's suggestion sounds doable.  However, I would actually prefer
> for it to be the default, as there I see benefits especially for new users
> and little problems for others.

Agreed.

> Secondly, I don't think we should go through the full confirmation
> dialog.

find-file-confirm-nonexistent doesn't use a "confirmation dialog", it just
puts a "[Confirm]" text in the minibuffer and rejects the RET (so you just
need to hit RET a second time).

> Is this really a special case for file name completion, and really only
> for find-file'?  Does it not apply to all kinds of completion?

It could, but I can't remember bumping into this TAB RET problem in other
circumstances, so we could definitely experiment with it, but I think the
priority should be to implement for the find-file case.  It's also more
likely to be accepted as a default if it's more limited in scope.

        Stefan