Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Patch: prefer-window-split-horizontally
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:24:08 -0700 (PDT)

> I think your approach would do that.  This example function would split
> horizontally as long as all windows are 80 or more columns wide.

> (defun th-split-window-function ()
>   (save-window-excursion
>     (save-excursion
>       (split-window-horizontally)
>       (balance-windows)
>       (if (>= (let ((edges (window-edges))) (- (nth 2 edges) (nth 0
> edges))) 80)
>           'split-window-horizontally
>         'split-window-vertically))))
>
> Would you try to implement that?

Splitting one window should not involve destroying all Lisp references to
existing windows (as `save-window-excursion' must).  Unless redisplay
would somehow be supressed here (I'm not sure), this would also involve
calling `window-size-change-functions' twice for each split, which would
be wasteful and perhaps confusing.

Davis

shipping.