Re: gnus-summary-catchup turns ticked into unread

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-catchup turns ticked into unread
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:39:18 -0400

    I worry that changing the arguments list of such a generic function
    in Emacs causes further confusion.

I think that compatibility in the long term will do more good
than the short-term confusion.

    We might, if anything, give up using that argument, since it doesn't
    seem to be very important in the codes in question actually.

That means that Gnus can easily avoid being affected the confusion.
Right?

So I conclude it is ok to change this.

      It also
    might suggest that such arguments that are not indispensable and are
    incompatible with versions of Emacsen will be doomed to be not used.

I think that an arg which is compatible between future Emacs versions
and XEmacs could be used easily enough, when there is a need to use it.

So I tend to think we should go ahead with this change,
unless there is some other reason not to.