Editing with tramp and version control?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Editing with tramp and version control?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:44:44 +0200

Hi,

I frequently use tramp for editing remote files.  Version control
(git) does not work.  I think that there should at least be an option
for that: basically, all that would be required is going through the
code and substituting start-process... with start-file-process... and
so on, right?

Another thing worth noting is vc-register, C-x v i, serves no useful
function when a file is already registered.

There are version control systems (at least git) where this function
is mapped to "git-add" which adds material to the next commit.  Since
multi-file commits are more the rule than the exception with modern
version control systems (which often make a point of having atomic
multiple-file commits), I think it reasonable to have C-x v i register
a file for the next commit.  This registration may for some version
control systems just be something done internally in Emacs (most
probably not surviving the session).  It would be made part of the
next C-x v v commit by default.  It is a bit more complicated to
figure out how to change "the default".

Since there is a lot of difference between version control systems of
what may or may not be possible, maybe C-u C-x v v could just offer a
prepared commit command in the minibuffer and give the user a
possibility of editing it before submission?

--
David Kastrup