Re: Strange change in backquote expansion

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange change in backquote expansion
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:46:02 -0400

    > Since 19.29 was 12 years ago, I think it is time to delete the
    > documentation of that compatibility feature.  Does anyone object?

    I believe the old syntax is still used in some of the bundled packages, not
    to mention the unbundled ones.

Can you arrange to issue a warning when reading code that uses the old
syntax?  There could be a flag to control the warning, and for the moment
we could make only the byte compiler turn on the flag.  That would make
it convenient if the warnings come thru the compiler warning mechanism.

In Emacs 24 we could make the old syntax an error.