Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostScript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostScript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:11:07 +0200

>     > processor load quickly reached 10 and I was completely
>     > stuck. C-g did nothing, my firefox was killed, and one of the
>     > light bulb of my room exploded (there may be no connection for
>     > the last one, I'm just not sure).
>
>     Yes, that's normal.  Be happy that it caches the page files so
>     that it will open immediately when you want to view this document
>     again.
>
> For C-g not to work is a a real problem.  Why does that happen?  Did
> you bind inhibit-quit to t?  If so, I think it is a bug in your code.
> If not, I think it is a bug in Emacs.

No, his computer froze because ImageMagick's convert tool used up all
his resources.  But yesterday I switched to using plain ghostscript
which is about 10 times as fast and gives nearly as good results.

> Does it run the subprocess asynchronously?  If not, maybe it should.

The conversion subprocess runs asynchronously and now it can be killed
if it takes too long.

Anyway, I think I have to look a bit deeper into David's suggestion to
use AuCTEX preview.el.  But that may take some time, as I have a lot of
other stuff to do.

So I think we should lay the inclusion of doc-view.el on ice till I've
done that.  I'll announce when it's ready to go in.

I'll attach the current version, if someone wants to play with it.

Bye,
Tassilo