Re: GPLv2 in new files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPLv2 in new files
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:27:11 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> I notice that some new files in CVS are using the GPL v2.
>
> I presume that these should be changed to GPL v3; is there any reason
> for individuals (i.e., me :-) to _not_ convert them this when noticing
> such a file?  [`copyright-update' keeps asking whether I'd like to
> convert them...]

There should be no problem if they are "GPLv2 or later".  Actually,
since no material is supposed to be placed into CVS (apart from few
well-known exceptions like MULE) that is not copyright-assigned to the
FSF, making them GPLv3 or later should be possible regardless of what
the files claim to be.

But it might be worth double-checking the assignment status when the
license header appears all too surprising.

--
David Kastrup