Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 22.1.50; insert-file-contents is slow under tramp
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:41:09 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Similar approach. It calls `tramp-do-copy-or-rename-file-directly',
>> which copies the "remote" file to /tmp, and assigns proper
>> permissions.
>
> What would be proper permissions?  I mean: how do you make sure that some
> nasty third party won't be able to read the content of that temp file, while
> still making it possible for Emacs to access the file?

The current approach(1) is to remove any temporary file immediately after
it has been processes by Emacs (for example, insert-file-contents is
finished). This reduces the time nasty third party can see such a
file.

But I admit, this might not be sufficient wrt security threats. Maybe
one could change it such a way, that temporary files shall be owned by
(user-login-name), and shall carry 0400 permissions.

(1): That's the theory. In practice, there are still some zero-length
temporary files left, for which I haven't debugged yet who is
responsible to remove them. On my todo list.

> 1MB/s for base64 sounds terribly slow.  My 266MHz home-router can send
> and encrypt data from disk to the network at about that speed.
> But admittedly, we're not talking `mimencode' but base64-decode-region which
> may include a lot of overhead to extract and insert data from/to the buffer.

Don't take the absolute values, I just wanted to show the
comparison. Tests were run on my stone-age 700MHz PIII machine.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.