Windows: Documentation for bin\*.exe

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Windows: Documentation for bin\*.exe
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:24:12 +0200

[Disclaimer: I don't have Windows here now to reproduce or lookup the
details, so please correct me if my memory is failing.]

In Windows' file manager (explorer.exe), you can right click on a file
and select "Open With..." (re-translated from German, I'm not sure
about the exact wording in English) to choose an application for
opening this file (only this time or for the future for this
extension).  When I want to select Emacs, I browse to the Emacs\bin
directory and find 14 executables [1].  Okay, I can figure out that
the most promising are emacs.exe, emacsclient.exe, emacsclientw.exe,
and runemacs.exe.  runemacs.exe in contrast to emacs.exe doesn't open
a cmd-shell window ("DOS box").  If I have already evaled
`server-start', emacsclient and emacsclientw would be suitable, but
which one?  So I did some trial and error and somehow found the right
one.  But now Explorer remembered all Emacs executables and in its
selection dialog box (after "Open with...") presents severals
executables but they all have the very same description ("GNU Emacs
for Windows NT/95/98/2000/ME/XP" or similar; FileDescription in
nt/emacs.rc maybe?) and icon (the new Emacs icon).  I can't figure out
which one is emacs.exe, emacsclient.exe or emacsclientw.exe.  Only
trial and error?  (BTW, how to delete existing entries in "Open
With..."?)

I search for hints in the manual ("grep -nH -e
'runemacs\|emacsclient\|\.exe' msdo*.texi" doesn't give only two
unrelated hits) and nt/, but I couldn't find anything related the
documentation.

Suggestions:

(a) A README file explaining the purpose of the various *.exe files
    (especially *emacs*.exe) in the bin directory.

(b) The description appearing in the "Open with..." dialog should tell
    about the purpose of the binary (or at least display name of the
    executable).

Bye, Reiner.

[1] c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/bin$ ls -1 *.exe
addpm.exe
cmdproxy.exe
ctags.exe
ddeclient.exe