chinese group names can not displayed properly in *Complation* buffer

From: sTeeL
Subject: chinese group names can not displayed properly in *Complation* buffer
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:59:53 +0800

Hi:

I am using emacs-unicode-2 branch, at first, when I visit a chinese NNTP
server, group name can not be displayed
properly in *Group* buffer (like \156\364\235 etc),  my NNTP settings are:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.newsfan.net"))

and my language env settings are:

 '(current-language-environment "Chinese-GB18030")
 '(default-input-method "chinese-py")
 '(set-default-coding-systems (quote chinese-gb18030))

locale setting are:

LANG=zh_CN.GB18030
LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_NUMERIC="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_TIME="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_MONETARY="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_PAPER="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_NAME="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_ADDRESS="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_TELEPHONE="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_MEASUREMENT="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_ALL=

my Gnus version is V5.11

after I added following lines in my .emacs files, the chinese group names in
*Group* buffer are OK:

(setq gnus-group-name-charset-method-alist
              '(((nntp "news.newsfan.net") . gb18030))) ;; set it to gbk also
works.

The *PROBLEM* is, after I restart Gnus and try to jump to newly added chinese
group (with j and a Tab),

the chinese group names displayed in *Completion* buffer become rubbish (group
names in *Group* buffer are still OK). I try gbk , utf8 and gb2312

many times but got same result. I suspect maybe it because chinese group names
can not be saved correctly in .newsrc.eld

or some thing wrong when loading those names back to *Complation* buffer, I am
not sure.

It's seems some one has experienced same problem (
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg08552.html)

I can not find out any solution or useful information, I attach my .emacs ,
.newsrc.eld, .newrc  and a screen shot with the mail, hopes they are useful.

And sorry about my poor poor English :( , if it's not a bug but my
configuration problem, please tell me why, I love emacs so much.

THANKS VERY MUCH!

sTeeL emacs lover