Re: add a popup menu to toggle line-number-mode and column-number-mode

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: add a popup menu to toggle line-number-mode and column-number-mode
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:50:31 -0700

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

  > > The line number entry on the mode line is one of the very few that is
  > > not mouse sensitive.
  > >
  > > Adding a popup menu there that can be used to toggle line-number-mode
  > > and column-number-mode seems very intuitive: set a property by
  > > clicking on it's graphical representation.
  > >
  > > Here's a proof of concept implementation. It am sure it can be
  > > improved.
  > >
  > > Opinions?
  >
  > I disagree for two reasons:
  >
  > (1) `line-number-mode' and `column-number-mode' are global modes, that's
  > why they are on the menu-bar.  Mode lines are merely buffer-local (the
  > nearest equivalent to "window-local").

I don't believe this is a good criteria to evaluate such a feature.
Something like: "Is this useful to the users?", "Is it intuitive/easy to use?"

  > (2) When there's no entry on the mode line how do you turn it on?

As you did before, but that is not issue that is related to the mode
line entry.

  > I could imagine binding left and right mouse clicks to `next-line' and
  > `previous-line' for the line-number indicator and something similar for
  > the column-number indicator.

For these we already have bindings that are well known: arrow keys,
C-{p,n,b,f}, scroll bar. Would it be useful to add yet another one?