Re: Outline mode

From: John J Foerch
Subject: Re: Outline mode
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:31:30 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Duh, I overlooked this "detail", sorry.
> But then in what way does it help?  You may now move the cursor to just
> after the ellipsis but actually be placed right after the newline (rather
> than at the end of the text).  And if you remove the newline, you get into
> the undesired situation where there is no ellipsis any more to warn about
> the presence of invisible text.
>
> Of course I'm biased: it would break reveal-mode which I wrote and use
> extensively with outline-minor-mode ;-)
>

>         Stefan

The ellipsis is implemented as a display property in an overlay on the
newline of the heading, so point can be just before the ellipsis, and
still be on the same line as the heading.  If you move point past the
ellipsis, then point will be in the first column of the next heading.

Thank you for mentioning deletion of the heading's newline.  I hadn't
considered that situation, but now I have updated my patch to handle
it, as well as other situations where invisible text could get
modified.  I will attach the new version to this message.

That's cool that you wrote reveal-mode.  I want to help update it to
make it work with my changes to outline-mode.  I really think my
changes are an improvement, but I also see that it will take patience
and effort to make sure it works perfectly.

It seems that the best way to proceed will be to add sections to this
elisp file for each mode that needs to be updated.  Then all the
changes for everything can be in one place, and people can use
eval-buffer for testing, until it's finished.  I can put the relevant
`require's at the top of the file to avoid problems with autoload.

--John