Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; log-view-current-file error
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 11:54:19 +0200

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2007-09-02 04:09 +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:
>> Actually as of a little while ago you see a different error. :)
>>
>> This was reported before. It's caused by ESR's VC changes. It's
>> trivial to modify the regexp to match the new format (which now says
>> "file(s)"), but less trivial to make it actually do the right thing if
>> there are multiple files there (perhaps there can't be at present, I
>> don't know).
>
> I am glad that you are aware of this bug ;)
>
> I learned from Mwolson that dvc is soon to be merged into Emacs, which
> means Emacs will have vc to deal with file-based version control and dvc
> to handle distributed version control.
>
> I wonder if this multiple files thingy might be redundant.
>
> Just a thought.

Another thought: with multi-tty and vc we have had two destabilizing
dumps of code without the single upstream author acting responsible
for integration and maintenance in Emacs.  multi-tty was sort of a
strategical decision.  I can't remember any discussion or rationale
for the half-finished vc.el, however.

If this trend continues, there will never be a stable merge basis for
unicode-2, let alone a stable Emacs 23 release.