Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:20:30 -0500

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:20:57 +0200, David Kastrup <address@hidden> said:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Normally I don't use several frames, but for emacsclients I like the
>>> new behavior.  Making it depend on pop-up-frames wouldn't help me,
>>> so I'm for the reversed behavior of the -c option, too.
>>
>> How about the following default behavior of emacsclient:

> I don't think that it makes sense to fantasize a whole bunch of
> behaviors for emacsclient: emacsclient should be modeled to mimic
> Emacs itself as closely as possible with regard to command line
> options and stuff: that way, one does not need half a million of info
> pages to explain how clever it is.

        As an end user, would it still be possible to specify easily
 whether one  wants to
  a) reuse an existing frame (which is something I do not often want --
     existing frame is usually detached behind screen or sitting on
     another window manager pane)
  b) Pop up one frame per emacsclient invocation and work through files
     one at a time in that frame (using C-x #), with the frame being
     removed when all files are done) -- this is my preferred mode of
     operation
  c) have one frame pop up per file (That could be nice, for a few files).

        I can get b) from current emacsclient; I used to get c) from
 gnuclient, and the old emacsclient used to give me a).

        manoj
--
What is irritating about love is that it is a crime that requires an
accomplice. Charles Baudelaire