Re: svn icons in the toolbar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: svn icons in the toolbar
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 08:06:27 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't understand this -- what are "alpha channels"?  Maybe I
>> understand "anti-aliasing to the background", but the background for
>> the toolbar is trivial, right?
>
> FWIW, the tool-bar background is not necessarily a solid color if XPM
> icons are used on non-GTK+ X11 builds.
>
> (set-face-attribute 'tool-bar nil :stipple "hlines3" :foreground "gray85")

Even when the background _is_ a solid color, the icon artwork of GNOME
and friends is rendered with subpixel resolution: that means that for
border pixels, a non-integral amount of background shines through.  If
the exact background is not known at the time an icon is made into a
graphics file, being restricted to transparency values of 0% and 100%
means that one either gets jagged edges or colored fringes around them
when displaying them.

For example, a blue icon rendered on red background will have border
pixels somewhere in the region between red and blue, depending on how
much of the background of a pixel gets covered.  Display this
magentaish color on a green background, and you have a magenta tinge
between the blue and red areas.