RE: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:35:46 -0700

>     > Why do we need to put properties other that the `face' property
>     > in doc strings?  There are already ways to make links.
>
>     To include graphics in Help, for one thing.
>
> Is that really something we should get into?
> I think we should not.

Why not?

Help, and documentation generally, often call upon graphics to aid
communication.

Just having the possibility to include graphics does not, of course, mean
that it's a good idea to stuff tons of screenshots, icons, and other
graphics into help. But having the possibility means that when it is
appropriate to add a graphic you can do so easily.

> That doesn't mean I am opposed to including some feature that would
> make it possible.  I would not be against that if it were clean, not a
> lot of work, etc.  But it is not a goal.

Johan's one-line fix (which you have now OK'd - thanks) makes it possible
and easy to do so for variables. The same is not true for functions (defun),
however.

I think it would be worthwhile to ease doing this for both variables and
functions by supporting some simplifying syntactic sugar (I proposed some).
I have no idea how much work would be involved in implementing that support.