Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:50:02 +0300

> Juri> Since .emacs-settings.el is a confusing file name, what about a more
> Juri> appropriate and shorter file name like .dir-vars.el or .dir-locals.el
> Juri> or .project.el.
>
> Could you say what you think is confusing about it?

Exactly what you can see in the message that started this thread,
i.e. when users first encounter the file .emacs-settings.el, the first
reaction is that it somehow related to general Emacs settings in .emacs.

> FWIW my precedent here is Eclipse, which makes .project and .settings
> directories.

Then why don't use similar names in Emacs?  If the package name will
remain project.el, then name the data file .project.el (the extension .el
says that this data file is for Emacs, and the leading dot says that
it's a configuration file).  If the package will be renamed to settings.el,
then name the data file .settings.el.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/