Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:43:18 -0600

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

rms> I want to use a dotfile, to keep the directory uncluttered
rms> and to avoid constraining names of source files.  (That is the
rms> usual purpose of dotfiles.)  If the file name ends in `.el',
rms> then there is no need to say `emacs' in it too.  So I think
rms> `.dirvars.el' is a good name.

FWIW -- I purposely did not choose the name "dirvars", to avoid
confusion with the existing dirvars.el and dir-locals.el packages.

However, if you feel strongly about this, I will change the name in
the next revision of the patch.

Since you're deciding stuff, would you mind weighing in on the other
proposals in this thread?  From memory this includes messaging the
user when the settings are used, modifying the C-h v output to mention
project settings, and letting the user interactively agree to risky
settings.

I'd rather not do any of these -- KISS is more my style.  Also I am a
bit lazy :-)

Tom