Re: something like linum.el ought to be added

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: something like linum.el ought to be added
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:00:18 +0200

Markus Triska <address@hidden> writes:

>> Is it efficient enough?
>
> Many users have reported good success, and it works well for me too.
> Please let me know if it doesn't work for you.
>
>> Preserving overlays on the other parts of the buffer won't things
>> speed up
>
> Since those overlays can be reused when re-visiting the parts of the
> buffer they were created for, this can speed things up since it avoids
> re-creation of overlays and intermediate garbage collection.

A large number of overlays is slowing down every operation in the
buffer.  Having a set of 50 or so that is only adjusted upon redraw
should be the fastest option for that reason.  If the overlay creation
is time-critical, one might move keep some off-screen overlays in a
separate list for reuse and detach them from the buffer temporarily.

But I doubt it would be worth the trouble.