Re: something like linum.el ought to be added

From: Markus Triska
Subject: Re: something like linum.el ought to be added
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:15:04 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> A large number of overlays is slowing down every operation in the
> buffer.  Having a set of 50 or so that is only adjusted upon redraw
> should be the fastest option for that reason.

I see what you mean; the main complication is that existing overlays
can still be necessary in other windows that show the same buffer. So
making all overlays available for (re-)consumption would entail
walking all visible windows and adjusting (new or existing) overlays
where necessary, which is not a clear improvement over the current
approach (i.e., keeping overlays in place once they are created, and
only changing those in the visible portion of the current window), in
particular since the number of overlays seems to be no problem so far.