Re: Need for a Emacs regression test suite

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Need for a Emacs regression test suite
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:30:57 -0400

    Not currently.  I don't know about Windows and Carbon, but it would
    not be impossible to develop a framework to generate X events to send
    to X windows at known positions.  (Ie, you would arrange for a frame
    to be created at 0,0, then you can send mouse clicks to the menubar
    and things like that, also keystroke events.)

Indeed, that would do the job, if we can also control the frame size
and font, in such a way that we can reliably associate window
positions with actions.  That is a good idea.

    These tests can easily be done in LISP, since there is an xlib package
    and an X window manager, both written entirely in LISP.

To use them for this, maybe we would need to install them in Emacs.
The xlib package certainly sounds interesting to install.
Can you tell us where to find it, and the author's name and email?