Re: Your last change to browse-url is bogus.

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: Your last change to browse-url is bogus.
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:13:06 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> %-escaping in browse-url-file-url (filename -> url) and those in other
> places such as browse-url-netscape (url -> url) are inherently
> different operations.

Not quite.  I may have a too low-level point of view, but they are the
same operations, they are just not used for the same purpose.

However, this patch has been somewhat reviewed and approved (though
containing an infinite loop ;-)), so it may be something made on
purpose.

> I think consolidating these two operations into one function only
> because they look similar is over-refactoring and shouldn't be done in
> order to avoid re-escaping or re-unescaping by mistake.

Well, I'm not so sure.  Their purpose is to escape characters in a way
we don't want to duplicate too much.  The «problem» you're pointing out
is the reason why I made the escaping function take the set of
characters to escape in a first place.

What would you do?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  To be portable,                       |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    Just stay on Windows.               |