Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:43:45 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> There are cases where starting Emacs with a file name command line
>> argument is fully justified: for instance, logging into a remote
>> computer only to fix one config file.

> One can do this using tramp [...]

Tramp is very, very slow to find the first remote file because it
has to setup the communication channel between Emacs and the remote
host.  In the time Tramp takes to find the file, I can ssh into the
box and start a local Emacs several times over.  (Tramp 2.1 is much
better than Tramp 2.0 in this regard, but it's still not perfect.)