Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:15:27 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> File name arguments did not implement themselves, you know;
>>> I specifically wrote the code to implement them, even though I think
>>> it's a bad habit.
>>>
>>> However, the Emacs manual encourages people not to get into that bad habit.
>>
>> There are cases where starting Emacs with a file name command line
>> argument is fully justified: for instance, logging into a remote
>> computer only to fix one config file.
>
> One can do this using tramp, but then I think prescribing a single
> work style and making everything else inconvenient by design is a
> mistake.

Thanks, I agree.

In addition, I'm finding that TRAMP isn't there yet. I spent about 30
minutes yesterday trying to figure out a multi-hop method since I had
to log into a remote host as myself and su to a non-root user. I
finally threw up my hands and ran "emacs file" on the remote machine
and made my change in 2 seconds.

I'll be making a bug report; nonetheless, not everything is a nail.

p.s. I mentioned earlier that "M-x svn-status RET /sudo::/" viewed my
home directory rather than / as root. Would this be a bug in psvn or
in TRAMP?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD