Re: emacs.git mirror status

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: emacs.git mirror status
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 07:49:28 +0200

>     Indeed.  On the 13th of May, Miles imported just the current state and
>     none of the history in the multi-tty arch repository into his arch
>     repository.
>
> I can't make sense of all these nested messages.  It looks like
> something was done wrong, and that history is missing from the CVS
> repository where it ought to be.  But I cannot tell which parts of
> the history are missing, or where they are missing from.

I don't see that anything was done wrong here: the alternative would
likely have been not to do anything at all, given the constraints of
CVS.

> Can someone please post a self-contained full description of this
> problem?

The private development history of multi-tty before it was first
placed into our CVS is not there checkin by checkin.  That makes it
hard to find the rationale (using mechanisms like cvs annotate) for
individual lines since all their history according to CVS boils down
to "merged into our CVS by Miles on 2007/05/13".

> What is missing, and where should it have been?

I really don't think that there is much that could have been done: CVS
does not lend itself to faking a history that has not actually been
there.

>    We could presumably fix this in git by importing the upstream
>    multi-tty arch repository into git as a separate branch starting
>    from the branch-off point of multi-tty, then make this the branch
>    parent rather than Miles import.  Something like that.
>
> What about fixing this in CVS?

I don't see that there is much we can do about this in CVS.  But git
is pretty good at mangling history, so if we offer a git repository,
chances are that we can with reasonable effort merge the histories
from several repositories into it.