Re: build error

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: build error
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:40:21 +0200 (MET DST)

d.henman wrote:

> Fatal error (6)/bin/sh: line 4:  3088 Aborted (core dumped)

This happens often in bootstrapping Emacs on Cygwin!

My experience is that it does not depend on GCC version.

Some time changing the build directory helps. For exaple, instead of

one can tries

Other times, bootstrapping from an X-shell (xterm, urxvt) instead that
from the DOS-like shell (cygwin.bat), helps.

Obviously also updating CVS source helps!

For example, I am currently observing this: building Emacs with window.c,
cus-start.el dated Sep. 7 works fine from all Cygwin shells, starting
emacs 'emacs -nw'. But using the current version of those files gives

  Fatal error (6)/bin/sh: ... Aborted ...

starting emacs -nw from the DOS-like shell.

The fact is that the cited version of window.c differ only in spaces (a
different style of formatting the text) while cus-start.el are IDENTICAL!

This is the life of Emacs on Cygwin!