Re: 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Unable to launch emacsclient from shell buffers:
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:34:38 -0700

Yes, You understand the situation correctly:

0)  I'm running Emacs on a Linux Virtual Console
1)  I'm running M-x shell
2) emacsclient when invoked from the shell should open a buffer
on the running emacs

Why this is needed:

Of course you'd never invoke emacsclient by hand like this --
you'd do find-file.

However other programs e.g. cvs or svn when committing a file
call emacsclient to edit the commit log.

At present emacsclient bombs when this happens, the older
behavior of emacsclient was to correctly hand off the buffer to
be opened by emacs.

Note that if you force the issue by doing (export TERM=vt100;
emacsclient foo)
then emacs itself locks up.