Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:25:14 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> one could make the splash screen appear regardless the very first
>> time Emacs were run, in that if no .emacs were present it would
>> automatically write one that suppressed the splash-screen-with-arguments
>> behavior.
>
> Yes, the splash screen is useful for a first use of Emacs, and its
> usefulness diminishes over time.
>
> FWIW, I do something similar to give new Icicles users a help reminder in
> the prompt. It is there only for N Emacs sessions, but a user can override
> this behavior. FWIW, this is what I do:
>
> (defcustom icicle-reminder-prompt-flag 7

I don't think that is a good idea: the user can very well skip the
screen and decide "I'll read this next time when I need it".  How
often he will skip it before reading it, we can't know.

We should really try finding a behavior that will put the information
in obvious and easy reach to the user every time, and won't be
annoying.