Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:45:19 +0300

> 2. If the user has a dot emacs interpret it:
>      a. If there is an explicit statement to hide the startup splash  screen,
>          honor it.
>      b. Check the time stamp of the dot emacs with the emacs executable, if
>          emacs executable is newer, show the splash screen (with an option to
>          disable it in the main screen)
>      c. If there is way to store the dot emacs compatibility by storing
> versions
>         in a list, we could check if the current version of emacs is
>         newer than the one for which dot emacs was written. Show the
>         splash screen and an option to disable by adding the current
>         version into the list. The list can be similar to
>         'custom-set-variables' /'custom-set-faces'.

Much simpler heuristic would be checking for the existence of the dot emacs:
if .emacs exists in the user's home directory this definitely means that
the user is not a complete beginner and have seen the Emacs startup screen
at least once before creating .emacs.  So there is no need to show the
startup screen again when starting Emacs with command line arguments.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/