Re: jka-compr.el doesn't recognise gzipped files from their magic bytes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: jka-compr.el doesn't recognise gzipped files from their magic bytes
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:35:32 -0400

> Could be, although I really wouldn't want to make a decision based on
> a very few non-ASCII bytes.

I can't see there being much opportunity for choice.

> Point is, there has to be a buffer holding that packet that the coding
> system has access to.

Well, there's obviously some "char*" array into which the data is read.
But it's not like there's a buffer where we keep data for later
processing, AFAIK, because that'd be difficult to handle correctly
(how long would we wait until processing it?).

        Stefan