Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:03:59 +0300

> From all the discussions I've ever had with Emacs beginners, the need to
> learn and master window-manipulation is one of the main sources of
> difficulty in Emacs: most of the rest can be done in typically obvious ways
> (now that we have menus and that arrows are sufficiently standard that
> almost nobody needs to first learn C-p, C-n).  But once you have
> a split-window display, it's not straightforward to a newbie how to get back
> to the single-window he's used to (the simplest way is probably "File ->
> Remove Splits").  In contrast getting rid of a second frame is easy:
> just click in the `X' in top corner of your window(frame).

They don't need immediately to get back to the single-window
configuration.  They can start editing in the selected window
while the lower window is still visible.  This is a good opportunity
for beginners to get introduced to the concept of Emacs windows.
They can use mouse to set point to the startup window, and start
clicking mouse on links, and see the result.  Eventually, they
can click on the Tutorial link in the startup window, and learn
more about multiple windows.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/