Re: GNU Emacs crashes with longlines-mode and outline-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs crashes with longlines-mode and outline-mode
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:52:59 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Have you compiled with -fno-thread-jumps?  Because otherwise the stack
>> traceback from failed assertions will be nonsense since gcc will reuse
>> the same abort call for every assertion.
>
> Please could you document this incantation, together with an
> explanation, somewhere in the information on debugging Emacs. Thanks.

Have you looked in etc/DEBUG?

    ** When you are trying to analyze failed assertions, it will be
    essential to compile Emacs either completely without optimizations or
    at least (when using GCC) with the -fno-crossjumping option.  Failure
    to do so may make the compiler recycle the same abort call for all
    assertions in a given function, rendering the stack backtrace useless
    for identifying the specific failed assertion.

Oops.  So I misremembered the option name: thread-jumping seems
actually harmless.  So replace my above question with the same using
-fno-crossjumping.  Sorry for the confusion.

--
David Kastrup