Re: bind commands that change buffer contents to `undefined' when read-o

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bind commands that change buffer contents to `undefined' when read-only?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:14:31 -0400

> A user is more likely to try `C-h b' to see which keys are available.

Could be, but to tell you the truth I've never seen anyone use C-h b (OK,
I adimit I've used it a couple times, but always only to see what it does,
not to see the info it gives me).

And the result is always so long anyway that I doubt a user would bother to
go through it to find a useful keybinding.  Instead, I expect he'd try
a keybinding which he finds convenient/intuitive/menmonic.  Or maybe he
wouldn't even try it and would go ahead and blindly bind the key and only
(much) later he may learn that the key he chose so may years ago actually
had another useful meaning.

        Stefan