Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:19:45 -0400

    If I installed Emacs on GNU/Linux, Emacs doesn't have to go out of its
    tell me about GNU.

Yes it does.  Most of the users of those systems think the system is
Linux.  They don't know it is basically GNU.

    Maybe the splash screen on M$ Windoze should read something like this:

      You are currently using a non-free operating system that is specifically
      designed to take away your freedom and put restrictions on what you can
      and cannot do with your computer.

      However, by starting GNU Emacs, you have entered the GNU project's world
      of free software, where the GNU Public License (GPL) protects your freedom
      to use, modify, and distribute software.

      For more information about the GNU project, type C-h C-p

I like the idea.  It is just a matter of whether we can fit this in
the available space.