RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:10:47 -0700

> > I agree, and I even more like three lines tooltip as this
> > for this case:
>
> >     mouse-1: select (drag to resize)
> >     mouse-2: maximize
> >     mouse-3: delete
>
> > But, for echo area, I prefer one line tooltip.
>
> I think that echo-area tooltips deserve to be massaged to avoid
> this kind of mess: Drew uses a single-line vry-long
> minibuffer-only frame, so any multiline message in the echo area
> is undesirable.  David OTOH seems to use the more common
> 80-columns frame with its own resizable echo-area, so long
> text is bad but multiple lines are not.
>
> To deal with both situations, we'll need for Emacs to automatically adjust
> the message's format to the minibuffer's shape.
> E.g. the messages could be spread over several lines and an option would
> make Emacs put those lines back together with something like
>
>   (mapconcat 'identity (split-string MSG "\n") " | ")
>
> this way, Drew (and myself as well since I use a similar setup) could just
> set this variable and not suffer from other people's preference for
> multiple lines.

Good point, and sounds good to me. Whatever the solution design, you've
expressed the echo-area concern well.

It's also good that you separated two of the strands of the discussion. Much
of what I was saying was not about single vs multiple lines or echo area vs
tooltip. It was about keeping the text for this kind of help to a minimum -
not adding unnecessary verbage.

I mixed in a request to not add newlines gratuitously that was more
pertinent to the echo-area point that you clarified, and doing so I confused
things.