Re: 23.0.50; Cannot run calculator on TTY

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Cannot run calculator on TTY
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:32:18 +0200

> The problem is in the calculator.el code.
> My advice is benign --(will attach it here)
> but it's the original code, i.e. ad-Orig-calculator that is
> ending up with the bizarre -2.

-2 is not bizarre.  It's purpose is to give the calculator window 2
lines.

> The problem lines in calculator.el appear to be:
> ;;; starting on line 734:
>
> (let ((split-window-keep-point nil)
>                (window-min-height 2))
>            ;; maybe leave two lines for our window because of the normal
>            ;; `raised' modeline in Emacs 21
>            (select-window
>             (split-window-vertically

The binding of `window-min-height' is here to avoid that `split-window'
complains about too small windows.

>              ;; If the modeline might interfere with the calculator buffer,
>              ;; use 3 lines instead.
>              (if (and (fboundp 'face-attr-construct)

All this shouldn't bother us since we already know that we get the
standard value -2 here.

>                -3 -2)))
>            (switch-to-buffer calculator-buffer))
>
> Notice the call to split-window-vertically above, and the
> somewhat complex code that determines the numeric argument being
> passed to that call.

Hence we seem to be left with the fact that your configuration has

(let ((split-window-keep-point nil)
      (window-min-height 2))
  (split-window-vertically -2))

fail for some reason.  Could you please verify by evaluating that form?