Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 06:04:46 -0700 (PDT)

> 2. I added a simple around advice to `view-file' that asks to use
>    `doc-view' instead of `view-file' if file is a pdf, ps or dvi file.
>    This enables users to use the normal `v' command in dired to open
>    document files.

We would prefer this implemented without advice -- perhaps just by
rebinding v in Dired to a new, simple function `view-or-doc-view-file', or
by modifying `view-mode' itself to recognize such files and change to
doc-view-mode.  ("Such files" should of course be a user option; you may
have it so already.)

> The patch is a bit large because the current version was indented with
> spaces, this one uses both spaces and tabs (width 8) as it's the default
> for emacs.

That makes your patch quite hard to read, and causes CVS conflicts with
everyone who has unchecked-in changes to the file.  There's nothing wrong,
I don't think, with fixing the indentation on lines that you change, but
otherwise it's best to leave it alone.  (This is why I'm not sure whether
your patch makes the set of doc-viewable file types a user option.)

Davis

shipping.