Re: carbon build hangs on startup

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: carbon build hangs on startup
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:27:20 +0900

Dan> The Carbon port on CVS trunk has been abandoned by its
Dan> maintainers and it is known to be broken.  If you don't intend to
Dan> work on fixing it, it is better to avoid it. The X11 port should
Dan> still work ...

> For some meaning of "work".  I don't fire up X11 on my mac more than
> once every month or two.  But I use Carbon Emacs every day... it's
> essential in my workflow.

We've at last got an official release version (22.1) for that.  I had
spent much time and effort for this version.

> What kind of skills are needed to make Carbon Emacs "work" again?
> Maybe I can go to the OSX mailing lists and plea for someone to pick
> up the cause.

Of course it's up to you whether to make such a plea.  But keep in
mind that developers' time and effort for multi-tty and Unicode
support on the Carbon port might be wasted if the Cocoa/GNUStep port
becomes good enough for Emacs 23.  I don't think it's a good idea to
invest them in catching up with the trunk NOW.

The situation is different from that of pre-22: we have a brand-new
first stable release version running on the Mac native window system
and ordinary Mac users don't need to use the CVS version, there's an
alternative, and the next major release does not happen too soon.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden