Re: vc-diff in non-VC buffer

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: vc-diff in non-VC buffer
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:13:41 -0400

Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>:
> I'm not saying my view is the only one reasonable, but to me the
> current behavior is a regression.

I hear that.  Let's try to think about smarter ways for the code to behave.

> > I think people are likely to become quite upset with me if I
> > remove that.
>
> Then at the very least make it a user option, please.

I'd rather not.  Doing the right thing is better than options, when
you can figure out what it is.  And too often, adding options becomes
an excuse not to figure that out.

How about this: VC can test whether some VCS considers itself responsible
for a directory.  I could change the logic to error out when no VCS considers
itself responsible for the current directory. Would that cover your
use case?