Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:45:07 +0300

>>> Good -- in other words, it works just the way isearch works in info?
>>
>> Yes, I understood that this is what Richard wants.
>
> Maybe. Isearch in info complains when it reaches the end of the node
> where the search started, but moves through the following nodes without
> stopping.
>
> I think perhaps Richard wants the search to pause at the end of every
> buffer.

This would be a hassle.  When you want to search 12 ChangeLog files you
need additional 12 C-s key presses.  Even an additional C-s at a failing
search in the initial buffer where the search started is inconvenient
when you want to leave the first buffer without stopping.  But this is
necessary for users who are not aware that isearch will continue searching
in next buffers.

Perhaps, we should add a new user option with 3 possible values:
1. don't stop in the initial buffer
2. stop once in the initial buffer
3. stop in every next buffer

--