Re: cc-mode enhancement for Objective-C

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: cc-mode enhancement for Objective-C
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:29:37 +0000

Hi, Adrian,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 09:08:36AM +0300, Adrian Robert wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Could I ask you two little favours?
> > (i) Please prefix the names of all the variables with "c-"; e.g., change
> > objc-method-arg-min-delta-to-bracket to
> > c-objc-method-arg-min-delta-to-bracket.

> OK.. it's been a while since I did this patch, so I'm not sure, I
> think I may have been following the naming of "objc-method-intro",
> "objc-method-args-cont", "objc-method-call-count" in cc-vars.  However
> I see these seem to be a different type of variable.

`objc-method-intro' is a just a symbol, not a variable.  It means "the
line you pressed C-c C-s on is 'The first line of an Objective-C method
definition'".  These symbols are documented in the manual (CC Mode 5.31
version) on the page "Syntactic Symbols".

> So the different naming convention should be used?  Or is it best to
> change the older three variables to 'c-objc-...'?

"c-" is the naming prefix for _all_ variables and functions within CC
Mode, with the exception of (most of) the mode names c++-mode, objc-mode,

> For now, here is a context diff version of the patch as-is.

Many thanks!  That's a lot easier to look at.  One thing I forgot to ask
you for is a test case - a little file.m, perhaps ~10 lines long, which
exercises the new indentation and fontification.  This will then become
part of the CC Mode test suite.  If you're not familiar with this, have a
look at some of the files in:
<http://cc-mode.cvs.sourceforge.net/cc-mode/cc-mode/tests/>.

--
Alan.