Re: doc-view and mailcap

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view and mailcap
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:22:08 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

>> Would someone please install Tassilo's latest changes, then ack?
>
> ACK.

Thanks.

> I modified change to `auto-mode-alist' (don't open PS and EPS with
> doc-view by default) as this seem to be controversial.

I agree.

> IMHO, it should do the same as image mode for XPM files: "Type C-c C-c
> to view the image as an image."  IIUC, this has not been implemented
> for doc-view yet, so I think we should open them with ps-mode for now.

At least it should be consistent for all files that can both be edited
(as text) or viewed.  One solution I see is

  - open the files always with the editing mode because that's what the
    find-file docstring says and one expects from an editor

  - in that editing mode's hook turn on a minor-mode that only provides
    a simple keybinding (like C-c C-c) that switches to the viewing mode

  - in the viewing mode the same binding switches back to the editing
    mode

So opening a PS file would activate ps-mode and doc-view-minor-mode is
activated in ps-mode-hook.

But how could we activate doc-view-minor-mode for DVI/PDF files which
would be opened in fundamental-mode, since there's no
fundamental-mode-hook?

What do you think?

Bye,
Tassilo