Re: 23.0.50; source of warning in *shell* buffer

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; source of warning in *shell* buffer
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:12:08 +0200

Am 19.10.2007 um 16:13 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Check the value of process-connection-type.
If it's nil, then try to figure out why,

It's nil. In src/s/darwin.h I have:

#define SYSTEM_TYPE "darwin"

/* NOMULTIPLEJOBS should be defined if your system's shell
 does not have "job control" (the ability to stop a program,
 run some other program, then continue the first one).  */

/* #define NOMULTIPLEJOBS */

/* Emacs can read input using SIGIO and buffering characters itself,
   or using CBREAK mode and making C-g cause SIGINT.
   The choice is controlled by the variable interrupt_input.

Define INTERRUPT_INPUT to make interrupt_input = 1 the default (use SIGIO)

Emacs uses the presence or absence of the SIGIO and BROKEN_SIGIO macros
   to indicate whether or not signal-driven I/O is possible.  It uses
   INTERRUPT_INPUT to decide whether to use it by default.

   SIGIO can be used only on systems that implement it (4.2 and 4.3).
   CBREAK mode has two disadvantages
1) At least in 4.2, it is impossible to handle the Meta key properly.
        I hear that in system V this problem does not exist.
     2) Control-G causes output to be discarded.
        I do not know whether this can be fixed in system V.

   Another method of doing input is planned but not implemented.
   It would have Emacs fork off a separate process
   to read the input and send it to the true Emacs process
   through a pipe. */

#define INTERRUPT_INPUT

/* Letter to use in finding device name of first pty,
  if system supports pty's.  'a' means it is /dev/ptya0  */

#define FIRST_PTY_LETTER 'p'

/*
 *      Define HAVE_TERMIOS if the system provides POSIX-style
 *      functions and macros for terminal control.
 *
 *      Define HAVE_TERMIO if the system provides sysV-style ioctls
 *      for terminal control.
 *
 *      Do not define both.  HAVE_TERMIOS is preferred, if it is
 *      supported on your system.
 */

#define HAVE_TERMIOS
/* #define HAVE_TERMIO */

#define NO_TERMIO

/*
 *      Define HAVE_PTYS if the system supports pty devices.
 *      Note: PTYs are broken on darwin <6.  Use at your own risk.
 */

#define HAVE_PTYS

/**
 * PTYs only work correctly on Darwin 7 or higher.  So make the
 * default for process-connection-type dependent on the kernel
 * version.
 */
#define MIN_PTY_KERNEL_VERSION '7'

/* subprocesses should be defined if you want to
   have code for asynchronous subprocesses
   (as used in M-x compile and M-x shell).
   This is generally OS dependent, and not supported
   under most USG systems. */

#define subprocesses

BSD_2 and BSD_SYSTEM are defined before. It looks fine for me, except the

        #define NO_TERMIO

looks odd ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy